Skip to main content
What is ILL?
If our Library does not have the book or article you are looking for, what do you do?
You can use our InterLibrary Loan Service!
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a free service for all currently enrolled students, as well as faculty and staff of The Culinary Institute of America.
- ILL provides access to thousands of other library collections across the United States that contain books, journal articles, and other kinds of materials.
- If there is any book or article that the Hilton Library does not own, you can request that we order it for you using our online ILL request forms.
- We will then contact other libraries who own the requested material and provide you with the book or a photocopy of the article.
Making a Request
- Check whether the Hilton Library owns the item you need.
- Check the Library Catalog
- Check the eBook Collection
- Check the Databases for journal articles
- If the Library owns an item but it is checked out, you may request a hold on the item and you will receive it within two weeks.
- If the Library does not own the item, you may request it using the Interlibrary Loan form for books or for articles (see tabs above.)
- While we attempt to honor the "need by" date indicated on the request form, we cannot guarantee the materials will arrive by that date.
- Turn-around time may depend on availability of the item, location/distance of the lending library, and lender conditions or restrictions.
- Interlibrary loans are typically requested from another library within 24 hours.
- Allow one to two weeks for an item to arrive. Books are shipped via regular mail. Articles usually arrive sooner.
- You will receive an email when your items are available:
- Books may be picked up at the Hilton Library Help Desk.
- If books are not picked up, they will be returned to the lending library.
- Articles are received electronically, in most cases. You will be notified via email with your article attached as a PDF.
- Please comply with all instructions from the lending library, such as copyright restrictions for articles and due dates for books.
- Return books to the Hilton Library Help Desk by the DUE DATE indicated.
ILL Policies (the fine print)
The Hilton Library is bound by any restrictions placed on loans by the lending library. These may include restricting use of the material to within the library building, obtaining the signiture of the borrower, and/or prohibiting photocopying. Interlibrary loans are governed by the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States of the American Library Association.
The requesting library is responsible for complying with the provisions of Section 108(g)(2) Copyright Law and the Guidelines for the Proviso of Subsection 108(g)(2) prepared by the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works (the CONTU Guidelines).
The Culinary Institute of America | Conrad N. Hilton Library | 1946 Campus Drive | Hyde Park, NY 12538-1430
Telephone: 845-451-1747 | Email: email@example.com |